Legacy




I come from a long line of strange people. I've already written about how my parents are reinventing grandparenthood, and this week I was reminded that my grandparents are reinventing great grandparenthood. I got a call on Tuesday afternoon from my almost 79-year-old grandfather and my 72-year-old grandmother that they would be arriving at our house in around three hours. I mean, who has spontaneous grandparents? Well, I really should not have been surprised because my grandparents have always been anything other than normal grandparents. They are both extraordinary people who share a love for new adventures and the open road. They are the same couple who just last year asked if Matt and I would meet them for dinner at 9:30 at night, after which, they drove back to Birmingham! (I remember that night thinking how strange it was that I was trying to stay awake until I got a call that my grandparents had made it home safely!)
It wasn't actually a desire for adventure that brought them to my house on Tuesday evening, though. My grandmother is in round-the-
clock pain, and these days wouldn't take off in the car late on a Tuesday afternoon without a pretty good reason. No, it has been about a month since they have seen there great grandchildren. Now, we have a trip planned to Birmingham the first part of November, but that is not quite soon enough for two people who are absolutely-silly-in-love with their great grandchildren. After watching my grandparents with my children, I believe there may be truth in the saying that love grows exponentially with each generation. I know without a doubt that my grandparents were crazy about me, but I truly believe they are even crazier about my Sophie and Will.
When they arrived on Tuesday evening, they came with  chocolate cupcakes, ice cream, lemon cake and color books and colors. They played with the Sophie and Will until Will had to go to sleep. MeeMaw told Sophie her classic "Nature Walk" story while I tried to type it into the computer as she talked, and Sophie giggled the same giggles I did thirty years ago. Later Sophie slept right in between Mee-Maw and Papa as I, my sisters and cousins did more times than I can count. Of course, they were quite a bit younger when I slept in between them, and I know that Tuesday night neither of them slept well with their bed buddy, but they wouldn't have had it any other way. 

The morning brought cuddling and sweets for breakfast and Papa commenting about how wonderful it was to wake up snuggled up to a little blonde-haired bundle while Sophie basked in how much he loves her. Will happily skipped his morning nap to stare at, examine and giggle at Mee-Maw while I remembered last summer when she just wanted to live to meet him. 

Next came an invitation that is all but unheard of at our house. "Would you like to go eat at McDonald's and play on the playground?" You would of thought they had offered Sophie a trip around the world! Will just wanted to be sure some sort of food was involved in the deal, but both children could feel the excitement of a not-so-ordinary Wednesday morning. 

I noticed at lunch that the whole rhythm of the experience was very different. We ate and talked as usual, but the pace was slower - and better. Sophie ate more than she usually does, and even though she wanted to play, she didn't rush herself. It was as though she knew that this was all about her and no one was going to hurry her. Will lasted much longer than he normally does, and of course, enjoyed Mee-Maw's indulging his every whim. Not once did he have to whine for a bite or fuss to tell me he wanted some water. Sophie didn't have to ask anyone to play with her because Papa went to the playground with her - even getting on the slide with her! No one ever said, "we have to go" or "just one more time." Will actually determined when we left as his lack of nap finally caught up with him around 1:30, but we all left with happy memories made. 

Afterer hugs and kisses and settling in the car, Sophie told me how sad she was that Mee-Maw and Papa were leaving. As I explained to her that it was OK to be sad that they were leaving, we should try to remember how happy we were that they had come. As I talked, I thought about how true that really is. I know that my grandparents won't be with us indefinitely, but rather than focus on that, I want - for me and my children to focus on how blessed we are to have them with us now. They are incredible people, and the life lessons they have taught and are teaching me are invaluable; the love they have lavished on me and are now lavishing on my children is their legacy. 

Comments

patti White said…
Carrie
This post brought back so many memories shared with Mom and Dad as their child, your Mom and Sophie and Will's Pattigrams. They have truly given us a Legacy of Love. May we all continue to leave Love Legacy whever we go. Thanks for these memories. Love you
Mom

Popular posts from this blog

Sophie's 8th Birthday

Happy 31st Birthday!

The Bane Bane Game