The Boy




Well, "the boy" has turned four, and though his birthday began with him waking up with a stomach virus, we finally had the big Cars party (more about that later) yesterday, and I believe, in the end, his fourth
birthday was a great one! Actually, Matt says that if I understood guys, I would realize that his actual birthday was a dream come true because even though he threw up right after he woke up, because I felt so sorry for him being sick on his birthday, I gave him unlimited screen time and let his stay in pjs all day! He raced Mario Karts, raced on the ipad with his new Cars Appmates, and got to watch his beloved Jungle Junction whenever he tired of the racing! It was not the day I had in mind for my boy, but it may have been the day he's always dreamed of!

Will has matured so much in this last year. As Patti-Grams likes to say, he has really "come
into his own." Not only is he more off the growth charts physically, than he was at his three year old check up (this year - 50 pounds and 45 " tall), but he is also growing emotionally, in his relationships, academically, and spiritually.

Will still has a high need for structure, but he is more confident, and he seems to adapt to changes better than he once did. This latest move has been much easier for him, and he's flourished
in his role as big brother this time around. Will has overcome many fears this year (though he'd still rather keep both feet on the ground), and he is growing stronger and braver each day. H's proud of watching The Nightmare Before Christmas and How to Tame Your Dragon, and he marched straight up to "scary houses" at Halloween while his big sister stood shaking in her boots! And though Matt constantly reminds me, "Carrie, he's a boy" when he doesn't squeal
with delight over party decorations or when he doesn't bubble over with enthusiasm over a gift I know he's been longing for, Will finds other ways to express his feelings. For his Valentine's party at school, I let him dictate to me exactly what he wanted to write on each child's valentine, and most said something like, "I like it when we play cars." or "I'm glad you're my friend," but when we got to his main squeeze, Annabel's, he said, completely flat-line, "Write 'I love you so much.' " No hesitation. No emotion. Just a straightforward declaration of love. And If I'm surprised by the things he doesn't get excited or show emotion about, I'm equally surprised
about the things he does get revved up about. He laughs over bodily function sounds like they are truly the funniest thing in the world. It tickles him like nothing else can. He loves cars and racing with every fiber of his being, and though he doesn't express excitement the way the girls
do, there is a quiet intensity that should not be mistaken for indifference. He also continues to show love by head-butting, and where one of the girls might come up and grab my hand, he rams his head into my back! But rarely does he forget to find mama to give me his "love" before bed, and when he does just run up and hug me or quietly rub my arm or shoulder, it absolutely melts my heart. The boy is growing emotionally.

Will is also learning to negotiate the waters of life with four females! He still doesn't excel at the psychological warfare that all girls are born experts in (he's much rather just flatten them and move on), but he's starting to develop some coping skills. When talking to our pediatrician about Will's place in the middle of the "sister sandwich" with Sophie and Zoe on top and Lucie and Lillie on bottom, we joked that he will either
be an amazing husband or a priest! He has the most tumultuous relationship with Sophie, but at the end of the day, he really adores her and wants her approval (though he will fight tooth and toenail if he thinks she is getting anything more or better than he is). He and Zoe sometimes fight like siblings, but he really thinks she is a rock star, and it is so interesting to see their interdependent relationship, and how one is strong for the other in some situations and how those roles reverse in others. They truly care for each other and take care of each
other and then occasionally fight like brother and sister. Will
and Lillie's relationship is developing by leaps and bounds these days. It's funny to watch them growing from mutual adoration of baby sister-big brother to beginning to play together as friends, really for the first time. Will is seeing her less like a baby and more like a playmate. Since they are not quite two years apart, I think they will grow even closer. And Will thinks Lucie is just the most precious baby in the world. I won't be a it surprised if those two don't have a special connection. Will is amazing with her, quietly chanting in his deep voice, "hey Lucie, Lucie, hey Lucie, Lucie," and singing "My Little Lulu" in an octave so low, I
can't even sing along! For now, Sophie still manages to send him on the occasional "fool's errand," Lillie tortures him by snatching his beloved cars, and the three biggest girls can still run him crazy saying absolutely ridiculous things that any girl would have the sense to ignore, but Will is starting to find his way, and along that way, he's forming some deep relationships with his sisters and cousin that will serve him very well as he gets older. The boy is growing in his relationships.

Will is truly excited about learning, and he loves for us to "do school" together. He will stay at
the table all morning with Sophie, even when the things I have planned for him are all finished up. He loves to do well, and he beams in spite of himself when he accomplishes something new. He isn't reading yet, but he wants to, and he is happy to take a slow and steady approach to phonics that will result in solid reading whenever he takes off. He has great critical thinking skills, and I think he may take more to math than his older sister. He has a very methodical approach to school, and like in the other areas of his life, he likes his lessons straightforward and consistent. Will is growing intellectually.

Will doesn't bring up spiritual things every day, but when he
does, I'm always amazed at the depth of his questions, and how clear it is that he has been pondering whatever topic we last discussed. He is really wrestling with what being a leader vs. a follower, and what it means to be a leader who leads in the right direction. He is passionate about praying out loud at mealtimes (not so much as bedtime), and it is so amazing to see how his prayers are
developing. He has an amazingly strong sense of justice, and though he has a lot to learn about life not being fair, I pray that his strong desire for things to be "right" may motivate him to stand up for others. He definitely wants things to be fair for himself, but I am also beginning to see him care that others are treated fairly. I 100% believe that Will's concept of justice is tied in to how he sees the Lord, and I believe that this aspect of his personality is going to be a crucial part of his spiritual life. The boy is growing spiritually.

Will continues to remain the most mysterious of my children, but never have I enjoyed a
mystery any more than I have him. The fact that this little guy will one day, not all that long from today, be a grown man just blows me away. I see the Lord answering my prayers that I've prayed since before he was born that Will would be grow to be a strong and brave defender, one who will be full of truth and stand up for what is right. I love this guy more than I could have imagined, and I'm so very thankful that I am the mama of the kid who in our family is known as "the boy." Happy 4th Birthday Will! I love you as big as the sky!





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sophie's 8th Birthday

Happy 31st Birthday!

With Great Power Comes Great Responsibility