First Birthday Gifts

My Precious Lulu,
     You turned one! And I have to say it wasn't as hard as I thought it would be. In fact, it was really a wonderful day. A small part of me was dreading your first birthday because I know you are my last my baby. I know this is our last first birthday party, our last first bite of cake, our very last year of firsts. But though I leave our last "first" year behind, it's hard to look at it as leaving when really I'm running headlong into more adventures with a baby girl that I know so much more about than I did one year ago. And in addition to the many first birthday gifts you received at your party, I count the many things I've learned about you as God's gifts to me.

I know that you, Lucie White Roden are a born communicator. I've known it for a while now. Like I knew Sophie was full of passion and creativity. Like I knew Will was an incredibly deep thinker. Like I knew Lillie was full of kindness and joy. I know that you are a communicator. Before your birthday, you were saying, "What is that,?" "Thank you," not to mention, "Mama, Dada," and even "Will!" But it's not just the actual words. You have been able to let us know what you want, how you feel about something, or who needs to stop doing what he or she is doing! Not only are you great at letting me know what you mean, I know beyond a shadow of a doubt that you understand me. We just about have our own private language. Very rarely, am I at a loss for what you want, and of all the babies in  our family, I feel sure that you understand me when I talk to you. I am so thankful for your communication gifts and for the understanding that we share.

I also know that you are a climber. We've never had a climber. I can't say this is my favorite gift. I can say that I am thankful that in addition to being a climber, you seem to have a great sense of balance. This balance has already come in handy in you climbing the stairs repeatedly, climbing on top of the playroom table, and getting out of your high chair and crawling across the kitchen table. From the rocking chair in your room to a cardboard box to a steep flight of stairs, you are not afraid to tackle a climb.

I also know that you have two favorite playthings - pencils and rocking chairs. You aren't that interested in baby toys (though do enjoy some of your siblings' toys), but you love nothing better than a Ticonderoga yellow #2 pencil. You love to pretend to write, and you will fight to the finish if someone takes a pencil away. I've learned to give you an unsharpened or very dull pencil rather than suffer the meltdown. Not only do you love a pencil, but you also adore a rocking chair. You love to rock and sing "Rock, rock, rock, rock." Now, you will often move from rocking to standing and seeing how far you can lean over without falling, but not before having yourself a nice rocking session. Usually when you've finished with your daredevil antics, you rock again for good measure. With your love of pencils and rocking chairs, you're a bit like a little old lady in a baby's body! And since I've always been an old lady myself, you being a bit of an old soul is definitely a gift to me.

I also know that you totally hold your own in our family. Of course, with the personalities of your sisters and brother, I was concerned that you might get lost in the shuffle. And when I learned that you are pretty naturally content, I was concerned that you might get passed over because of "squeakier wheels." I should not have been concerned. You march your sisters and brother and know exactly how to get what you want from just about every member of our family! Whether it's my undivided attention, a pencil from Sophie, a toy from Will, or a game of "pass the baby" from Aunt Tori and Uncle Derek, you pick your battles, but makes sure you win what you pick. That, my dear one, is a priceless gift in our family!

This year I've gotten to spend nearly every moment (waking or otherwise) with you. I know you inside and out, and the appropriate response to this year can't be sadness, but it must be gratitude. I am so incredibly thankful that I've been able to get to know you, my amazing, unexpected gift of God's grace. Oh, my precious baby Lucie. I love you more than I know how to say. I am thankful for every moment I get to spend with you. I am thankful for every way that you are like your siblings, and I am thankful for every way that you are unlike any other baby in our family. I absolutely can't wait to know more about you as you grow. I am so very thankful that I am your mama and you are my Lulu. I am thankful for all the gifts that you have brought to our lives. I love you as big as the sky!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sophie's 8th Birthday

With Great Power Comes Great Responsibility

Happy 31st Birthday!