Birthday Princess



Oh my Lillie Pie! You are three years old. I can hardly believe it, as in so many ways, you still seem like my little Baby Mine. But as much as you still love being held and you delight in being rocked and sung to, you really growing up. Three finds you testing the limits a bit, seeing if throwing a fit might get you what you’re hoping for, and I’m trying my best to firmly show you that isn’t the way you should go. Some days are better than others. Three seems to be toughest age for the Roden kiddos (at least the toughest from 8 and under), but like with almost everything in life, three seems a little easier with you. I’m sure a little of it is that we’ve navigated these waters with two other children, and we know a bit more about which battles to pick and which to let go, but I really think the main difference is you.

Lillie, you are without a doubt the kindest, most loving child I’ve ever known. You greet each day with absolute wonder and excitement, and your joy is contagious and life giving. When you were only two weeks old, we found out that Tato had cancer, and you brought so much happiness and hope to our family, and to me particularly in such tough time in our lives. You were literally encouraging others before you could talk! I’ve always prayed that you would be full of hope and to bring hope to others. I can’t count the ways in which the Lord has answered this prayer in you.
 
I could not have imagined a more appropriate place to celebrate your birthday than the happiest place on earth, and this year, we celebrated your third year of life in Cinderella’s Castle right in the middle of the Magic Kingdom! You make so many ordinary moments magical, and it was so fun to give you a truly magical birthday! I don’t think I will ever forget the sheer delight all over your face as you were crowned by your daddy, met beautiful princesses, or saw your lovely Cinderella cake! You are just the kind of child that truly finds joy in the little things, so the big things leave you nearly breathless! It was a fairy tale birthday for a little girl who has the demeanor of a fairy tale princess! I would say you were too good to be true, if I didn’t get to witness the occasional three-year-old fits that remind me you are real.

Lillie, I am so very grateful to be your mama. I’m grateful that mine are the arms you reach up to each day, that it’s my face you shower with kisses throughout the day, that it’s my lap you love to cozy up in for stories, and that it’s my voice you ask to sing you to sleep. I’m grateful for every way that you are growing up into a young lady and for every way that you are clinging to staying my little baby. I thank our gracious heavenly Father for choosing you for me and me for you. I pray that your life continues to overflow with hope – that you continue to bring hope to other people through your kindness and happy heart. Lillie, your heart, your spirit, your outlook on life, these are gifts from the Lord that few possess, but ones that I’m praying he will use in you for His great purpose.

I love you as big as the sky, Lillie Pie!

Mama

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sophie's 8th Birthday

Happy 31st Birthday!

With Great Power Comes Great Responsibility