What a difference a year makes...



I cannot stop thinking about how thankful I am for Will. It is so hard to believe that just a year and a few days ago, we had never met this little boy. It seems as though he has always been with us. Our lives have dramatically changed in the past year, and I am thankful for each and every one of the changes. Some of the ways our family is different...
  • We no longer need an alarm clock. We used to have to set a couple of clocks to be sure were up and moving in the morning. Matt, Sophie and I are not morning people... Oh, but Wild Will is! He wakes up so full of joy that the three of us can't help but smile as we watch him "enthusiastically" greet the day and encourage us to follow suit.
  • We didn't know the depths of Sophie's ability to love someone who 
 doesn't put her first. Soon after Will was born I was surprised by her complete devotion to him and her depth of patience with him. She truly believes he is the most exceptional baby in the world. She was concerned over his lack of teeth for the first six months of his life, but she passionately defended him to strangers, claiming, "He will get teeth one day!" Soph is not normally long on patience, but when Will decided he's had enough of the car and begins crying, Soph, instead of griping or complaining, begins playing with him or singing him a song. Of course, they are normal siblings, and he does sometimes get on her nerves, and she sometimes pesters him, but overall, she is an amazing big sister, and I am moved when I see the unselfish love she has for him. 
  • I have gone from being ambivalent about having a little boy to being one of "those moms
of boys" that have always driven me up a wall. I have known more than my share of families that had a strange compulsion to have a male child to carry on the family name (or whatever), and coming from a family of three sisters and five female cousins, I felt pretty defensive about how thrilled I would be to raise daughters. When I found out Will was a boy, I was in total shock, and actually I was very fearful that I wouldn't know what to do with him. Over the next few months as I prayed and read, I felt a definite peace about having a little boy. Then, I met him.... The rest is a total cliche. I am head over heels in love with him. When he grins at me, I have a hard time not giving him whatever it is that he wants. I find his caveman-like behavior charming, and I already tear up when I think about him getting married!
  •  Our family has been transformed from "the three of us" to "a family of four." Before Will, we tended to do things as "the three of us," me, Matt and Sophie. Now, we have all these new dynamics that are so much fun! First, we have "parents and kids." Matt and I have definitely grown stronger as a couple, largely in order to ensure the kids don't take over. Will and Sophie are definitely bonded as siblings, and Matt and I talk frequently about how strange it is to watch their relationship that is largely independent of us. And I know, in no time, they will be griping to each other about Matt and me!                
              Another fun dynamic we've developed is "boys vs. girls." Sophie and I enjoy "girl" time, whether it's teatime, shopping or bubble baths, the time we used to take for granted, we now appreciate. We have bonded as girls, playing practical jokes on the boys, well, on Matt, for now. We often hide Matt's wedding ring which he takes off each night to help bathe the kids, and we try to beat "the boys" on the way into a store or restaurant. Soph enjoys feeling like she and I are on a 
team. Matt and Will already have their "boy" stuff like wrestling and their latest - "dog-fighting," (which I wish I had a video of because it is too cute)! At any rate, Will knows that Daddy is where the rough and tumble fun is, and Sophie knows that I am her source of tea parties and dress up.                                           
The other dynamic that I have enjoyed in the past year is the "daddy-daughter" and"mother-son" relationships. Sophie and Matt are truly crazy about each other, and they have had fun going on "dates" and spending time as father and daughter. I am loving the bond between Will and I, and he and I had our first "date" this past December. I spend Mondays with just him, and I love how I notice different things about him when we have one-on-one time. 
We are looking forward to many more changes in the year to come. This next year will involve more "firsts" for our little man-cub. We look forward to experiencing him walking steadily, running, and talking! We know our relationships will continue to grow and change as well. I pray daily that the Lord keeps our hearts soft towards one another. For as long as the changes involve us knowing one another better and loving each other more, I look forward to seeing the difference a year can make.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sophie's 8th Birthday

Happy 31st Birthday!

The Bane Bane Game