Back to School

All three of our kiddos experienced a sort of first day of school this year! We celebrated Sophie's first day of second grade at her new school, Foundations Christian Academy. Will celebrated his first day back-to-preschool, which is even more exciting because he and Zoe are in class together. And even Lillie got in on the first day action, with her first day of "school" (going one morning a week to childcare with Zoe)!

The schedule has worked out great, with Sophie in school on Mondays and Fridays (something we thought we wouldn't like, but is actually working well), Will is in school on Tuesdays and
Thursdays, and Lillie goes on Wednesdays. It has been great for me because by only having two home for at least a big chunk of any given day, I have a little more to give to whoever is home. Now, we'll have to see how all that goes once Miss Lucie arrives!

Sophie's teacher, Mrs. Griswold, could not be any more perfect for her. They are truly kindred spirits. Sophie truly loves each day at FCA, and my only complaint is that they don't meet three days a week! Mrs. Griswold is an artist and has taught Soph so much science (my weakest area) through art that I feel like Soph is developing a genuine interest in science. Mrs. G
is also a great history teacher, and even though Sophie is studying the ancient time period for the third time (once when she was in preschool, one in first grade, and now again), she still says she loves history! Sophie actually switches classes for language arts, and her other teacher, Mrs. Rudder has also been wonderful. She had a great beginning to the school year with me at home. Though we had a very rough patch right around the time of our move, she seems to be getting back on track with the help of a some positive reinforcement vs. me just dolling out punishments. Overall, I couldn't be more pleased with all she is learning, and I am so very thankful to have found a place like Foundations to provide us with a framework for the rest of our schooling.

Will also has the perfect teacher for him. Ms. Kathy is a total pro, and I knew the moment I walked into her open house that she would provide my kid who loves structure with a safe place to learn and grow. I have not been disappointment. Even when Will got in trouble for
disobeying (his only real trouble except for the time he flattened a kid who had hit him last year), Ms. Kathy handled my sensitive boy with the firm, but loving discipline I want to
demonstrate, but so often fail to administer. Just yesterday, Will came running out of the bathroom, hugged me around the legs, and said, "I love Ms. Kathy!" When I asked him what he loved most about her, he said, "I love her love." I'm so glad Will is spending two days a week with someone he would say that about, and as a huge added bonus, he is also spending those days with his cousin and best buddy, Zoe! There relationship continues to grow, and even though they can still fight like cats and dogs, it is interesting to watch how they deeply they love each other and depend on each other, and how their bond has been strengthened by going to school together.

Miss Lillie is also getting to spend some time with Zoe at what Sophie calls "little school." Ms. Michelle is a friend of ours and also happens to be our amazing "cake lady," but has made herself most dear to us by loving and caring first for Zoe, and now also for Lillie so well. Ms. Michelle takes care of Zoe on Mondays and Wednesdays in Spring Hill and Lillie is enjoying spending time with them on Wednesdays. Also in her "class" are three adorable triplet boys, just a few months older than Lillie, and I'm pretty sure Lillie has found a boyfriend out of the
deal! It's all good because the boys' parents are huge Alabama fans, so we are fine if she winds up with any of the three! Ms. Michelle truly enjoys the children and she always incorporates learning, music, and some kind of craft in her time with them. I wasn't sure about Lillie being away from me before she was two, but she really seems to enjoy her time especially with Zoe, and it is amazing how much I can get done with Sophie and Will in the four or five hours she is at "little school!" I will say though that hers is one smile we are always ready to see when we pick her up on Wednesday afternoons!

Other than our crazy school schedule, (which has me packing a lunch five days a week even though I never have fewer than two kids home with me), Sophie is in dance on Tuesday afternoons and art on Thursday afternoons. She really doesn't love dance, and this may be her last year of it, but she is truly flourishing in her art class. We laugh that when she walks into the studio, it is like she is "home." Her teachers seem to love her and praise her creativity. I, of course, know next to nothing about any of it, but Matt is very impressed with the school and the work Sophie is doing. I was impressed when I first met the staff and they kept reiterating, "the interest is the gift." Sophie definitely has the interest, so we are trying to nourish that gift in her.

Will wasn't quite old enough for basketball, so he isn't doing an extra-curricular this year, though he is attending three year old children's choir. He has fun every time he goes, but my homebody, tries each week to get out of going! Lillie isn't in any sort of class yet, though we know that she needs to be in a music and/or dance class as soon as possible. She is definitely the most musical of our three, and they are all pretty musical! I can't wait to watch her love of singing and dancing grow.

We are so thankful that all three kids are "back to school" in situations that are so tailor-made for them. The framework of routine that school provides has helped them through a chaotic month of moving (for the third time in 16 months) and waiting for another baby. And though we know routines are about to be disrupted for a while with a new baby, Thanksgiving, and the Christmas season, we are know that come January, we'll head "back to school" and hopefully, back to some sense of routine once again!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sophie's 8th Birthday

Happy 31st Birthday!

The Bane Bane Game