We Love Lucie!



Well, Miss Lucie White Roden finally exerted enough energy to get around to meeting her family! After being told I was dilated to four on October 18 and to expect her "any day," by Halloween, I was briefed on what to do if she was born in the car! By November 7, I was dilated to six, and even my conservative midwives began to talk about induction! In fact, one of my favorite midwives wouldn't give me the "recipe" for the labor-inducing concoction because she felt sure I would never arrive at the hospital in time! So, after having contractions for most of the day on Tuesday, I went back to the midwife so they could monitor me, and I only had two contractions the entire time I was there! They did agree to induce me early Wednesday morning, but with the warning that if I went into labor that night, to make haste to the hospital!

With visions of Will's labor dancing in my head, I quickly made arrangements for a hotel at the
Vanderbilt Loew's (thanks, only to Uncle Brad for the great rate and impossible to get room since it was CMA week!) After only three short hours at the hotel, one great dinner with Patti-Grams and Aunt Hope at J. Alexander's, and the shortest bath ever, I knew I would not be spending the night at the Loews!

With the assistance of the most amazing nurses I've ever had, a fabulous midwife, Melissa, and
Aunt Hope, Patti-Grams, Aunt Tori, Aunt Ashley, and of course, Daddy, we had a virtual labor party, with my water breaking on its own and no induction necessary, in order to welcome Lucie White Roden into the world at 2:38 a.m. on the morning of November 9! She weighed in at 8 pounds, 8 ounces and 20 1/2 inches long, bigger than all her siblings, except Will! Of course, she decided to cook at least 10 days longer than Sophie, and two full weeks longer than Lillie! She even outlasted Will by several days!

And her laid-back attitude about joining us seems to be a mark of her personality so far! She is by far the most easy-going, contented baby we've had. She rarely cries, and bless her heart, when she does, she gives it very little effort. She pretty much snuggles and snacks, snacks and snuggles, 24 hours a day. I do think she has her days and nights more mixed up than any of her siblings, and Sophie says it is because she was born in the middle of the night! She's so laid-back that even when she's awake at night, she isn't any trouble, she just wants to hang out a bit.

Sophie, Will, and Lillie are all three crazy about her, and it is amazing to watch their individual
relationships beginning to form. Sophie is truly like a second mother, and she begs to hold and care for her throughout the day. She has held her for hours on end, and has even changed dirty diapers! Will has much more confidence as a big brother this second time around. He loves on Lucie and lavishes her with compliments. He holds her with confidence and tries to protect her
from her third mama, Miss Lillie! Lillie has overnight transitioned from baby to mama. She is crazy about Lucie, but interestingly will not refer to her as anything but "the baby." All day long, it's, "I want to see the baby. I want to hold the baby. I want to love the baby." All so sweet, but a little scary as well! She is really as gentle as a 22-month old could possibly be, but I do believe the transition has been toughest on her. There is also lots of "I want to hold you,
mama" and more "where's Daddy?" than before Lucie's arrival. Overall though, I couldn't ask for the kids to be more loving or accepting of a new baby. With each addition, I have been amazed and thankful for my kids' capacity to love another child.

For now, we don't know too much about Lucie other than she looks like all our other kids, she has an easy-going demeanor, and she is never in a hurry! When our photographer was here photographing her at six days old, she commented that Lucie was the best newborn she had ever shot! Lucie snoozed as we did outfit changes, position changes, and diaper changes! After being naked for at least a half hour, she waited until her diaper was back under to go pee-pee! A photoshoot-cooperative Roden newborn has to this point been a total oxymoron, so we were shocked to say the least!

As ready as I was to meet her, no doubt the Lord knew what
He was doing in a giving us a fourth child who isn't in a hurry. I am enjoying each moment with my peaceful baby, and yet, I am excited about each day that she grows as I get to know a little more about who she is and how she fits in the dynamic of our family. Of all that we still don't know about her, we are very sure that we all love our precious Lucie!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sophie's 8th Birthday

Happy 31st Birthday!

The Bane Bane Game