The Best Gift of 2008










Patti-Grams and Aunt Hope came in town for a whirlwind of Christmas activities including Sophie's dance performance at a local retirement center, an all-day shopping excursion at Perimeter, a trip to ride the Pink Pig and see Santa at Lenox, and then keeping Soph and Will while Matt and I enjoyed an early-anniversary date at Atlantic Station! Then Sophie got to go to Patti-Grams' house early and spend a few days getting spoiled and enjoying more Christmas activities in Franklin, and Will became the only child in the Roden household for a few days.

We have so enjoyed getting to focus on Will and notice all the ways he has changed since the last time we had a few days alone with him. Now, it isn't that Will doesn't get any attention when Sophie is here - I try to carve out alone time with him each day, and we spend Mondays just the two of us,  but his sister is quite the dynamic personality, and I do notice different things about him when I spend several days with just him. So, things I am noticing about Will these days...
  • While he is more laid-back than his sister, I'm not sure he is quite the easy-going guy I originally thought he was. (I've had a couple of conversations with friends about children that are "pleasers," and I am pretty sure I don't have one of those...) He isn't a super-intense little guy most of the time, but when Will gets mad... well, his motto seems to be "go big or go home!" He is so physically strong that his temper tantrums are on a whole new level than anything I have experienced. He has actually taken me literally to my knees in the middle of Target because I was afraid he was going to jump out of my arms! His tantrums are brought on by not getting what he wants; for example, not being allowed to eat things of an electronic nature, not being allowed go up and down the stairs when he wants to, or not being allowed to stay in a dirty diaper because he doesn't want a diaper change. (I know, I am so unreasonable...)
  • Will is completely enamoured with balls and wheels. He has gone from being able to throw a ball well to sitting and enjoying an actual game of "catch," bouncing a ball to his dad and waiting for Matt to bounce the ball back to him. Now, he still loves throwing the ball and chasing it himself, but "catch" is his latest trick! He also loves to watch wheels go round and round, and this fascination has already lead to an injury with his fingers getting caught in the wheels of our stroller! 
  • Will continues to eat us out of house and home. Sometime between 6 and 9 months, he began regularly eating more than Sophie, and now, at 10 months, it isn't even close. He loves to eat and has no patience with me if I am dawdling at getting food to his tray. His favorite foods are roasted chicken, turkey, and he actually drools over beef. He is definitely a meat lover, though there isn't much he won't eat. He loves lemons and cranberries, neither of which I can eat by themselves. He's also a big fan of blueberry pancakes, though I haven't let him try our raw honey and almond butter topping yet. He had his first Christmas cookie tonight, and he rewarded my caving in to his request with the biggest smiles you have ever seen.
  • Will is all boy. He has the most precious laugh in the world, but it is a deep chuckle that sounds like that kid who's laughing about pushing another kid down on the playground. There is definitely something "thuggish" about Will, but at 10 months, he is still pulling it off well. (Matt says we need to homeschool him to protect all the other kids his age!) Sophie would sit and look at books at this age. Not so much with Will. He stays on the move, and isn't impressed with many toys, preferring electrical outets, cd players, phones, and of course, his all-time favorite - remote controls! (Matt has to reprogram our bedroom remote control daily.) He is not fooled by imitation products. He can spot an old cell phone or a remote without batteries in about a second, and will pitch a fit for the real deal. (He and Tato have an ongoing battle over who will wield the remote in Franklin...) 
  • Will has totally captured his mama's heart! He melts me in seconds, and probably gets me to give in more than I should! Before he falls asleep in the car, he says "maaama, maaama, maaama" and then he's out! He knows exactly what I am saying when I tell him, "Not in your mouth, Will." He will obey until he's grinned at me enough to where I smile back, and then - straight to his mouth with whatever filthy object he's holding. He is absolutely irresistible. I really can't believe we did life without him. We sure didn't know how amazing life with him would be! 
Matt and I are so thankful that we got to spend some special time with Will this week! I had a special date with him on Wednesday night and took him on his first carriage ride. On Friday night, Matt and I took him to one of his favorite restaurants, Jim and Nick's (where I promise he eats
nearly as much as I do) and then on to a live nativity and Bethlehem village. Tonight we took him to see the lights in Centennial Park, and because this is Atlanta (and it has been in the 70s), we were able to hop in and out of the fountains while listening to Christmas music! We took Sophie to do  
so many special things her first Christmas, and I feel so blessed to have been able to give Will my undivided attention for a few days during this Christmas season. Off all the gifts that will be given and received in our family this year, I am quite sure that the best gift I've received this year has been by beautiful 
baby boy. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sophie's 8th Birthday

Happy 31st Birthday!

The Bane Bane Game