Adventures in Being a Boy's Mom




Well, it is safe to say that Will kept me on my toes all day today. We planned to meet Matt for lunch and visit the Easter Bunny today. I was all prepared for Will to be a little apprehensive about the big rabbit, maybe even refuse to sit with him, but not my guy... Not only was he not scared, he loved the Easter Bunny and never shed a tear - until he threw a fit when we had to take him away from the bunny! We then took him to ride the train to get his mind off the bunny, and he broke away from the train line and headed back for his bunny, nearly taking down the lovely Easter Bunny set in the process.


I should have known that my wild boy was in rare form, but, this afternoon, I unsuspectingly strolled the kids over to the neighborhood clubhouse for an afternoon Easter egg decorating playgroup. To say that my son wreaked havoc is an understatement. I did manage to limit him to only spilling the blue dye all over himself and the room! Looking back, I can't believe there wasn't a rainbow of dye all over the place. I knew I had trouble early on when Will spied the eggs, and kept yelling, "Ball! Ball! Ball!" Even when our amazing Activities Director brought Will multiple real balls, the shiny white ones continued to torture him. Will was also enamoured with an adorable little seven month old girl, whose mom was so very kind and gracious, but who I have no doubt was scared to death of what my gi-normous son might do next! Again, our always thoughtful Activities Director saved the day with cupcakes, which Will attacked like a bear who hasn't eaten all winter! By the time he was finished with his second cupcake, my dress looked like it had been frosted! (I really don't remember the last time Matt couldn't guess what Will had eaten for lunch by looking at my clothes...) Will was absolutely wild during the entire playgroup, laughing, growling, and grinning while he attacked me, tried to eat out of trashcans, threw balls all around the room, and of course, made every effort to destroy the Easter eggs Sophie and her friend were decorating!

After blowing off some steam on the playground and being showered with attention from Sophie's friend, I figured Will would be tuckered out and a bit calmer once we arrived home. Oh, how wrong I was... We literally hadn't made it in the front door before Will fell (I, of course, didn't see it) and though his cry wasn't terrible, blood was flowing freely. It was nearly impossible for me to tell exactly where the blood was originating, but I managed to wipe it a bit and calm him down with a bottle of milk. I thought the worst was over when Will hopped out of my lap and started playing. The next thing I noticed was a trail of blood all over the floor, and Will very calmly eating trail mix and gushing blood from his mouth! At this point, I just scooped him up, took him outside and called Matt! In fact, by the time Matt arrived home both kids were crying in the front yard, and if he'd been just a few minutes longer, I would have joined them! 

In the end though, my Wild Will ate applesauce and pizza (despite a rather large chunk of tongue being missing), had a nice bath (to clean off the dye, cupcake and blood) and we made up in the rocking chair over a nice bottle of milk! Being a boy's mom is definitely an adventure, but one I wouldn't trade for all the calm play groups and clean outfits in the world!

Comments

Unknown said…
I literally laughed out loud when i read this! I love that little guy! I wonder if one day we will play "Remember the time Will....?" :)

Popular posts from this blog

Sophie's 8th Birthday

Happy 31st Birthday!

The Bane Bane Game