Don't Cry Over Spilled Milk...or Water


It has been a wet week around our house. It's not that it has rained that much. (swim lessons were never rained out, despite my fervent prayers...) But rather, our home has been a bit damp all week.

Normally, I am a fan of water. I like to drink it, I love bathing in it, I love that it runs in our home. But this week, I've had enough.

I can't remember exactly when the string of events began. Difficult to pinpoint because I am the mother of two spillers. I can hear people now telling me how all young children spill and make messes, and while I know this is true to a certain extent, I have observed other children. I have many friends with small children, I go to playgroups, I observe other children in public places. I believe people are either born spillers or not, and mine were both born spillers

At any rate, I can't remember exactly when my exasperation with liquids began because my children spill each and every day. Multiple times. Will has figured out that no-spill cups will spill if dropped from high enough with enough force. Not just a trickle, this snaps the lid right off resulting in a puddle. He loves it. Sophie likes to sit in her chair with her body contorted in a new and strange way for each and every meal, and as she also tends to dance her way through life, even when seated, so she has a knack for spills as well. 

So, needless to say, the normal 4-6 spills of, at best water, at worst milk, has been happening every day for as I long as I can remember.  But this week, we added to the liquid fun.
  • First we had Will's diaper leak. Words can't and shouldn't express, but it was bad and resulted in our first sheet change of the week. (Changing sheets may be my least favorite chore...) (Saturday) 
  • Next, Sophie's accident. And bless my grandparents' hearts, she was sleeping with them. Sheet change number 2. (Sunday)
  • Sophie's swim lesson. Always lots of water at the pool, and on Monday we also had "waterworks" when Sophie cried like a baby about having to "go under." I had to act like "going under" was no big deal, even though you'd probably have to give me at least $50 to make me do it today. The fun continued when I was wrangling Will on the other side of the pool and I watched another child in Sophie's swim class (an infant taking a makeup class) fall in the deep end. It was seconds, but it seemed like an eternity, and every mother at the pool was pretty sure they'd had a minor stroke before it was over. (Also Monday)
  • Next up, my "I Love Lucy"experience with the sink. I reached for the spicket thingy that pulls out from the faucet, and a ton of water sprayed me in the face. I was totally-had-to-change-clothes soaked! If only Matt could have had the pleasure of seeing it. I'm quite sure it would have put Lucy to shame. Oh, and apparently this resulted in damage to our island that will require repair. The carpet in the living room was also soaked and several invitations/announcements on our fridge ruined. (Monday)
  • Unfortunately, I couldn't seem to remember that the sink was broken, and I continually tried to use it throughout the day resulting in more minor, but still damp experiences. (Still Monday) 
  • Will then learned how to turn on the water from the refrigerator and did so very quietly for several minutes. Lots of water there. We found that our fridge has a lock for this feature, but there seems to be a learning curve on us remembering to activate the lock. Will is faithful to see if we've remembered. (Began Tuesday, continued throughout the week)
  • Will dumped several glasses of water carelessly left by me in my bedroom and living room. (Tuesday and Wednesday)
  • Accident #2 - sheet change #3. I almost cried. (Wednesday morning)
  • Sophie attempted to apply her own sunscreen. Oh my. (Wednesday morning)
  • Will spilled milk all over me at nap time. (Wednesday afternoon)
  • Looking forward to a relaxing late night bath, I turned on the water only to find my precious son had somehow turned our faucet around so that I was running my bath water onto my bathroom floor. (Wednesday night)
Of course I'm thankful to have children that make messes, and I'm thankful that we have running water, and I'm thankful for all the things I should be thankful for. But mostly, I'm thankful that I haven't cried over the spilled milk... and water... and sunscreen. That's growth for me, and we have enough water in our household without me adding to the supply. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sophie's 8th Birthday

Happy 31st Birthday!

With Great Power Comes Great Responsibility