Reminder

I had a very strange thing happened several weeks back. Just before we left for "Wedding Week" (I mean like while we were putting the last suitcases in our car), I decided to check the mail. Matt laughs at how excited I am to check the mail every day. I tell him that he doesn't understand the life of a stay at home mom. I mean, there are days when checking the mail may be one of the most exciting things we do. 

Anyway, on this particular Monday afternoon, I checked the mail and found a card addressed to me in a handwriting that I did not recognize. We'd just sent a baby present, so I figured it was probably a thank you note. The outside of the card did read "Thank You," but inside was a simple note that almost looked like calligraphy that read "Thank you for making our world a better place." Also tucked inside were four $100 bills!

It was kind of one of those time freezes for a couple of seconds type of moment. I almost couldn't speak. I ran inside and showed Matt (plus I gloated about why I always like to check the mail), and he was as floored as I was. 

We were overwhelmed with questions. First, the obvious, who would have given this to us? Second, who would have addressed the card to me? I told Matt that the only two people's world that I make better don't have jobs or money! (Oh, in trying to figure out who it was, I checked the postmark - completely smudged - unreadable!) 

We were also overwhelmed with gratitude. This money could not have come at a time when we needed it more. May was going to be a busy and expensive month for us, full of travel, parties and special occasions, and we had just learned that on May 1 we owed an overage for our escrow. The amount we owed was $380. We really weren't sure how everything was going to work out, but we were both praying about it. 

So, on May 1 we owed $380. On April 27, we received $400. Talk about provision.

Matt and I had a whole car ride to talk about who could have given us the money. I even made a couple of calls to friends and family, but everyone, (though thrilled for us) claimed, very believably, to know nothing about it. Finally, Matt reminded me that we didn't need to try to find out who had put the money in the envelope. Obviously he/she didn't want us to know. What we needed to focus on what being thankful that whoever it was had allowed him or herself to be used by the Lord to provide for our family.

We were reminded that God still uses people in very real ways. We were reminded again why we want our finances to be in good shape so that we can be used like that in other people's lives. We were reminded that there are things we can do even now. Most importantly, we were reminded of God's lavish love and faithfulness. 

I now carry this card in my diaper bag (a place I'm sure to look often) because I both enjoy and need the visual reminder. I don't want to forget that, in this economy, someone gave up $400 for me. I don't want to forget to allow the Lord to use me to make someone's world better. I don't want to forget that my God is faithful. And sometimes, I need a reminder.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sophie's 8th Birthday

Happy 31st Birthday!

With Great Power Comes Great Responsibility