Difficult Days and Better Ones



"Today was a difficult day. Tomorrow will be better."

Sophie smiled tonight as I told her goodnight and quoted some of our favorite lines, said by "Mr. Slinger" in one of our favorite books, Lilly's Purple Plastic Purse by Kevin Henkes. It was definitely a tough one today. The kids took turns having meltdowns. In some ways, that is easier than them having them at once, but I found that it made for an all-day endurance test for me. I failed that test and ended up having a meltdown of my own.

I am so thankful that Matt came home armed with take-out and a willingness to talk about what we should do. As we talked the day through, we know that part of today was being in "re-entry mode," - re-entering our normal routines after a fun break with grandparents, aunts, uncles and friends. But we also see some areas in which we have been growing lax and the need to "tweak" our game plan for our growing family. The exhaustion of the day hasn't allowed for us to iron out details, but we are definitely committed to re-evaluating and re-working some things. We know we won't eliminate "difficult" days, but we want to lay a foundation for fewer "difficult" days and more "better" ones.

Because of the LORD's great love we are not consumed, for his compassions never fail.
They are new every morning; great is your faithfulness.

So for tonight, I am claiming Lamentations 3:22-23, remembering to be thankful that I wasn't "consumed," today and even more thankful that He is faithful when I am not. I am relying on the promise that He will be compassionate each day and that though today was difficult, tomorrow can be better.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sophie's 8th Birthday

Happy 31st Birthday!

With Great Power Comes Great Responsibility