First Steps


My girls are growing. (Actually my boy is growing too, but he's already so big, it's not quite as noticeable). But my girls, they are changing before my very eyes.

For one thing, Lillie is gaining teeth while Sophie is losing them! Poor Lillie was toothless for ever-so-long, then finally got her two bottom teeth, but for months, she's sported huge swollen bulges where her two top teeth should be. All of a sudden, her two rather large (rather Will-looking), top teeth have broken through, and another top tooth is on its way! At this rate, she may have a full set by Christmas! And though Sophie's been claiming to have a lose tooth for at least six months, she finally lost her first tooth just last night! I can literally see how my girls are growing just by looking at their little mouths.

And it isn't just teeth. My laid-back Lillie, who seemed liked she'd never sit up strong, then didn't seem to have much interest in crawling, decided she was ready to go mobile. About two weeks ago she decided to give it a try, and though for a few days she looked like a lame dog, keeping one leg tucked under her the entire time she scooted, before I could blink my eyes she was flying all over the floor! (Matt and I think she may actually be the most adventurous of our crew!) And Miss Lillie isn't finished. No, this girl has experienced a taste of mobility, and now she is ready for an adventure! I'm just not sure I'm ready for this, but I know that her first steps, clumsy though they will be are just around the corner.

And she isn't the only one. A couple of Thursdays ago, we were driving home from dinner when Sophie said, "Mama, Daddy, I think I need to become a real Christian tonight." Matt and I
looked at each other, not quite sure what to say. Soph has been thinking about asking Jesus to live in her heart since VBS this past June. She was very excited about all she was learning, but when it came down to letting him be "the boss of her life," thereby giving up the role she believes she currently holds, she decided she needed some time to think.

So she's been thinking for about six months now (probably while she was loosening that tooth). And then, out of the blue, driving home from her favorite meat and three, she decided the time had come. Of course, like so many parents, Matt and I believe this is an important first step in her journey as a Christ follower, and we wanted to be sure she really understood what she was wanting to do, so I threw a couple of questions at her, asking her why she thought she was ready. I wasn't quite prepared for what I heard.

"Mama, I just really want to be God's true child. I want to be on His team. I've been thinking about it, and I think I will be happier if I follow Him."

(To which, I interrupted, "Now, Soph, being a Christian doesn't mean..." And she interrupted right back...)

"Mama, I know that there will be troubles, but I think I will be happier if I go His way. I really want to be with Him forever."

Well, that was enough for me. Dabbing at my own tears, I listened as Sophie and her dad prayed a prayer asking Jesus to live in Sophie's heart. It was one of the greatest privileges of my life. I know she is at the very beginning of her journey. I know that, as she said, "there will be troubles," but I cannot ignore that my baby is beginning her walk with Christ. Just as I'm watching Lillie pulling up to standing, anxiously waiting to take her first clumsy steps, I'm watching her big sister standing on her own, taking her first steps in her journey with the Lord.

So tonight I am thankful for my growing girls. Even though it pricks my heart a little that they aren't tiny babies any more, I must remember that their growth is the answer to my many prayers. I am thankful for teeth, in and out, that remind me that my girls are healthy and growing. I'm thankful for scooting, crawling, and cruising that reminds me of the adventures God has planned for them. I'm thankful for the honor of hearing prayers prayed out of an earnest heart that has come to understand it's better to go "His way." I'm thankful that I get to be their mama. Most of all, I am thankful for first steps, for clumsy as they may be, they are the only way to begin to walk the very best journey.


I have no greater joy than to hear that my children are walking in the truth. 3 John 1:4

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sophie's 8th Birthday

Happy 31st Birthday!

The Bane Bane Game