Overwhelmed

The events of the past couple of weeks have overwhelmed me. Because I don't ever want to forget all the kindness, mercy and love I've been shown and because I want Lillie to know all the beautiful ways that the people we love most helped to celebrate her entrance into the world, I want to record just some of the abundant blessings of the past couple of weeks in the life of our family.

  • mom arriving in Atlanta almost a week ahead of schedule when my back went out. She lovingly cared for me, Matt and the kids, took care of our house and allowed me to rest enough to be able to have Lillie without a c-section.
  • a relatively uneventful ride to the hospital, free from panic and fear and a doctor who was willing to sacrifice convenience, trusting that I knew my own body.
  • a sister who moved heaven and earth to see my third child come into the world and a brother-in-law who distinguished himself as the best brother-in-law ever by taking amazing care of Sophie and Will while Lillie was born. Together, the two of them made sure that what could have been a very unsettling time for Sophie and Will was a time of memory-making adventures. Together, they took away my greatest concern (for Sophie and Will) and allowed me to enjoy getting to know Lillie.
  • a sister who finally had a niece named after her and took amazing care of both Lillie and me on Lillie's first night in this world. Sacrificing sleep and comfort, she recorded every diaper, feed and coo Lillie made and kept me company through the long hours that make up a night in the hospital. Never has their been a more loving nurse, and Lillie and I were both so blessed to have been cared for by her.
  • a best friend who left her own precious boys to come and celebrate Lillie and take care of me, again sacrificing her own rest and comfort to spend a long night in the hospital. She came bearing my favorite doughnuts, my favorite sugar cookies, and pink packages galore, all expressions of her love for Lillie and me. I wound up feeling like I'd been at a spend the night party instead of at the hospital, and joy definitely characterized the short time spent together.
  • grandparents, one who just turned eighty, who drove from out of state to meet their third great-grandchild, again with so many gifts you would think this was their first. Though they may not have felt like making the trip, you would have never known it, and wild horses couldn't have kept them from welcoming Lillie into the world. They were there, too, when we arrived home to a house full of food cooked by my grandmother.
  • a dad whose genes are so strong that each of my children look just like him. He has bought more meals than I can count and provided multiple hotel rooms so everyone could be close to the hospital and maximize their time with Lillie. He dutifully fulfilled his role of driving us home from the hospital and then dutifully fulfilled his role as chief baby rocker.
  • Coming home to a warm house, wonderful food, plentiful presents and people who love us dearly.
  • a sister and brother-in-law who fully enjoy loving our children and who "while they were here" totally redecorated Sophie's room, making her feel like the most special big sister in the world!
  • daily massages from my youngest sister who truly has an amazing gift of therapeutic massage and whose kindness, love and prayers are as healing as her touch.
  • an aunt who came from out of state, again with tons of sparkly, pink gifts, ready to cook all day and then work "the night shift" with me and Lillie.
  • another aunt who was willing to go and come from out of state in one day, with sweet gifts and homemade soup all to welcome her newest niece into the world.
  • mom being here in the earliest days of adjusting to life at home to help with meals, school, diapers, tantrums, baths, etc. She gave Lillie her first bath and helped Lillie and me through Lillie's first crying spell. Not only did mom help me survive the first week with three, but after the first week, she took Sophie and Will to her house for a few days so Matt and I could spend time getting to know our baby.
I've had many moments of feeling overwhelmed by the increased responsiblity. I so want to do an excellent job as a wife and mother. I feel the weight of importance that comes with the gifts I've been given. I've had a few moments of feeling that I won't ever be able to handle all that I'm called upon to do. But I am committed to remembering that with all the responsibility, with all the increased pressure, I have been most overwhelmed with blessings. The Lord has been so incredibly good to me, and these are just a very few of ways in which he has shown his love through others. As I process all the events and feelings, I want to remain overwhelmed by His goodness.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sophie's 8th Birthday

Happy 31st Birthday!

With Great Power Comes Great Responsibility