Why I Love Rabbi Shmuley

I love Rabbi Shmuley Boteach. Several years ago he had a reality show called Shalom in the Home, (Matt and I were so disappointed when it went off the air), and I've been a fan ever since. Raising Outstanding Children is one of the best short articles on parenting I've seen in a long time. My best friend, Ashley, sent this to me and suggested printing it out to keep these values in the forefront of our minds. Some of my very favorite quotes...

"Stop asking your child what he wants to do with his life - start asking who he wants to be...If your child becomes a president, but is a corrupt politician, then you've failed, he says. But if he's an honest garbage collector with a good heart, you've succeeded." Preach it, Shmuley.

"Stop speaking to your child about a career - talk instead about a calling...God has given you a unique gift that no one else has - find out what makes you special, and then give it to the world." Oh, how I want to help my children find their gifts.

"Stop focusing on grades and start focusing on intellectual curiosity...Stop making kids into human 'doings' who know how to perform but never develop any real desire to know." Kids who desire "to know" - how I pray for that.

"Stop speaking to your kids about happiness - start speaking instead about purpose...Your child's happiness shouldn't be the goal...It should be the byproduct of purpose." Maybe I love Rabbi Shmuley because he reminds me of my mom. I'm not here to make my kids happy, but I do hope to help them find their purpose.

And that is only four of the six values Rabbi Shumley suggests for raising outstanding kids! I want to be sure instilling all six values into Sophie, Will and Lillie. I've read a lot of great parenting books, but I think this little article packs several books worth of information into just a few paragraphs. Thanks Ash for passing on the inspiration and encouragement.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sophie's 8th Birthday

Happy 31st Birthday!

The Bane Bane Game