Family Dictionary







Sophie and I were talking about her daddy today as we were loading in the car. I was saying what a rascal he is, and she said, "No, mama, he is a tomten!" I thought about how funny that would sound to anyone who overheard our conversation, and I thought about how our family has its own language that I never want to forget. So, because I don't remember what I ate for breakfast, and I am quite sure I will forget much of our "family words" as we outgrow them, I want to record them and remember.

tomten - From Jan Brett's book (Hedgie's Surprise), someone who slyly takes things such as pillows, the last piece of turkey, etc. usually a male, particularly Daddy or Tato.
Used in expressions like "Daddy, you are such a tomten!"

crowns - crayons
Used in expressions like, "Will's got my crowns!"

mornging - (formerly morgan) - morning
Used in expressions like, "I can't believe it's mornging!"

ourt - (actually we don't use this one anymore, but we loved it, so I'm including it...) - out 
Used in expressions such as "Let's get ourt of here, Mama!"

snicklefritz - (not actually ours, I think we heard it on Gilmore Girls) a fussy baby or toddler
Used in expressions such as "Will is being such a snicklefritz!"

an-udder - another
Used in expressions such as "I would like an-udder cookie!"

Other common expressions and favorite words:
We love to call people "rascals," especially Will, Daddy or Tato!

"Heavens to Betsy!" - my current replacement for expletives... gets lots of funny looks from people that don't have kids...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sophie's 8th Birthday

Happy 31st Birthday!

The Bane Bane Game